The tech giant, Microsoft has announced its first Edge based Chromium powered web browser. Here is everything you should know about Chromium Edge Browser and steps by step guide how to download it. What makes it distinctive is its Canary Channel, Developer Channel and Beta Channel will be updated on a daily, weekly and once in every 6 weeks basis respectively. Notably, Google Chrome browser is also based on the same Edge technology. The new Microsoft Chromium Edge is now available for downloading from the official website of the Microsoft Edge Insider. Microsoft, in its December announcement, stated that the company is going to isolate Edge updates from Windows 10 updates. Microsoft has also revealed that the Chromium for Edge development will support all versions of Windows and Mac OS as well. As promised about its arrival back in 2018, Microsoft delivered its first preview builds of the Chromium powered Edge. Though Microsoft has announced its first builds for Windows 10 64-bit English versions only as of now, the company assured that it will release Beta builds in near future that will support the 32-bit and other languages and operating systems soon.
Let us take a look at the three Edge distribution channels Microsoft has launched Chromium Edge browser on!
- Beta Channel
One of the three channels is the Beta Channel, which will provide users with the more stable Edge preview experience. The Chromium browser will be updated every 6 weeks and will not have many bugs to deal with. Though the Beta Channel is currently not available, however; the company has confirmed that it will launch the Beta build soon.
- Canary Channel
The second one in the list is the Canary Channel, which will be updated on a daily basis. It is most likely to be an unstable version that will often require bug fixes and changes from time to time.
- Developer Channel
The last one in the list is the Developer Channel, which can be considered as a step ahead of Canary. It lies between Canary Channel and Beta Channel and will require weekly updates.
Microsoft Chromium Powered Edge Browser Features
Some of the notable features in the new Microsoft Chromium Powered Edge Browser include:
- Microsoft has given the new Chromium powered Edge browser a look that is a combination of Google Chrome and the old Edge browser.
- The Chromium browser will have the default option to download the extension from the Microsoft Store. However, users can enable the “Allow Extensions from Other Stores” option to download Chrome extensions from the Chrome Web Store. To extend the support of Google Chrome Extensions, Microsoft has been inviting Chrome Extension developers to submit their Chrome-supporting extensions to the Microsoft Store.
- The new Chromium browser will support the Bing search box, which will be available in the browser’s address bar. Users, however, can change it to Google Search as well.
- The New Tab Page will have three options with which users can customize the tabs viz. Focused, Informational and Inspirational.
- Users can sign-in to manually manage their Microsoft Account profile. They can also manage their Azure Active Directory.
Talking about the features of new Chromium powered Edge browser, the corporate vice president in Microsoft’s operating systems group, Joe Belfiore said,
“In these first builds we are very much focused on the fundamentals and have not yet included a wide range of features and language support that will come later.”
He further added, “We look forward to people starting to kick the tires and will be refining the feature set over time based on the feedback we receive.”
Features Microsoft is Working On
Since the new Chromium Edge browser in its early phase, a lot of features are still under development. Some of the features which Microsoft is currently working on include:
Microsoft is working on the Edge-specific features such as the full PDF support and Tabs etc.
Microsoft is presently working on its look and feels that include more finishing on Microsoft’s Fluent Design as well.
The “Casting to Chromecast devices” feature is available but does not work.
The company is also working on providing the support for Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG).
The tech department of Microsoft is working on improving the browser’s performance and dependability as well.
There are multiple features that set apart the Edge and Chrome such as the users’ privacy and productivity etc. The company is yet to work on some of these features to differentiate both browsers.
How to Download and Install the Chromium Edge Browser?
Users can manually download the Microsoft Chromium Edge browser by visiting the official website of Microsoft Edge Insider Preview.
- Upon visiting the above-mentioned website, users need to click on the “Download for Windows 10” link, which is available right below the Developer/ Canary section.
- After reading and accepting all the terms and conditions, users need to tap on the “Accept” button to go ahead.
- After accepting the terms and conditions, the “Microsoft Edge installer” will start to download.
- Once the file is downloaded, users need to open the setup and follow the instructions to install the Chromium browser.
- Once the installation is completed, the Chromium browser will be launched automatically.
- Users must note that this new Chromium browser will not replace the old Edge browser at the moment. However, it will replace the old Edge in the future versions of Windows 10.
Currently, Microsoft is seeking genuine feedback from the Chromium open source community and web developers to make the Chromium powered Edge browser more sophisticated and reliable. Microsoft is yet to decide the preeminent way to replace the new Chromium-powered Edge browser with its old Edge. In the meantime, the company is focusing on creating the new Chromium Edge browser more compatible, stable and dependable. The company, in these initial months of the launch, will also work on making the new Chromium browser supportive to multiple languages and operating systems.